Saturday, March 12, 2011

Clear a clogged drain without nasty drain cleaner

Every time I experience a clogged drain, I usually put it off longer then I should because drain cleaning products freak me out. I start to think about what if: it splashes me in the eyes, my cat steps in it, my gloves have a previously unknown hole or my child doesn't listen and decides to play in the sink! Well now, thanks to all of the wonderful people who post how to videos on the internet, I never have to use it again. It turns out that all I need to clear even the most clogged drain is baking soda, vinegar and hot water; it actually works better than those nasty products and it costs less than a dollar.

Here is how you do it:

Sprinkle a good amount of baking soda down your drain.
Pour some vinegar down your drain and let it fizz.
Keep adding vinegar until the clog breaks and the fizzing has stopped.
Follow up with boiling hot water to wash it all down.
Repeat this process as many times as needed.

If there is any hair or other debris the bubbling action should bring it to the surface so you can use tweezers and a crochet hook to pull it out.

3 comments:

  1. You should also see the methods of how to prevent your drains from clogging. Like, to avoid hair strands blocking your drains, you can put a filter that can keep the hairs from entering your drainage system. Those methods work for common drain blocks, but if the clogging is severe, you may need to recheck the pipe system. Levi @ CapitalPlumbing.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a fan of DIY declogging systems, but I believe that these are not enough, especially when you're not an expert. Yes, I do preventive measures to keep those drains from being clogged, but my plumber still regularly checks those pipes and drains. Their expertise still helps to prevent serious damage. :)

    Mark Baker @ EscoNow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self - clean out the drain instead of dumping down more drano. Thanks for the step by step for us clueless people.
    Kirkland Plumbing Company

    ReplyDelete