Monday, March 7, 2011

Going out is draining you!

One of the first things that I learned is that eating out every day will empty your wallet faster then you can say "didn't I just have a 50"! Here is my old typical routine:

Stop in the morning for coffee: $3
Sometimes a muffin: $2
Lunch: $5-$10
Coke at the corner store: $2
I don't feel like/don't have time to cook dinner: $15-$25
Lets go out this weekend: $50-$100

At the time of the purchases, it didn't seem like much; but when I added it up, I found I was spending around $10,000 per year on stuff I really don't need. If you think this is excessive, save your receipts for one typical week; at the end of the week add it all up and be prepared to be shocked.

The most immediate solution to most of these expenditures is, go to the grocery store, make it at home and take it with you. For entertainment, think of alternatives to going out every weekend. Instead of meeting friends somewhere, try inviting them over to do something fun at your house. At my house we now have a weekly potluck barbecue and it is so much more fun then spending a small fortune in a crowded bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment