Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Home made deodorant

One day around a year ago my grocery bill came to over $120 for only a couple of bags of goodies. I felt shocked and sickened as I looked over my receipt and realized that most of it was toiletries and cleaning products, I was low on a lot of stuff. At the time I was going for natural and organic products and felt it was worth the extra cost, but it wasn't until I had to purchase them all at once that I realized what a tremendous cost burden it was.

I got it into my mind that there had to be a better way, so I started searching. I found out that a really good way to save heaps of money and free yourself from questionable chemicals is to start making as many products at home as you can. It is not only ridiculously cheap, but it takes less time to make then to drive to the store and buy everything.

My first project was deodorant!

For many years I have been concerned about the aluminum content of most deodorants, so I started paying $5 to $7 for various products from the health food store. Not only did they not work very well, but they are way to expensive. The one I have been making from home is so good and so cheap that I am able to make it and give it away to anyone who wants it. Even considering the essential oils I use, a batch costs less then a 25 cents, works better and last longer then a stick of store bought deodorant!

Make it, Try it, LOVE IT!

All you do is mix all ingredients together and rub a little bit under your arms. It will absorb moisture, eliminate odor and it doesn't make your skin feel waxy or leave a white residue.

All you need to make a basic deodorant:

  • 1 part baking soda
  • 1 part sea salt (always try to stay away from table salt)
  • just enough coconut oil to make a stiff paste

optional ingredients:

  • a couple of drops of tea tree oil because it is antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal
  • vitamin E, a couple of drops is good enough
  • Whatever essential oil you enjoy for fragrance

No comments:

Post a Comment