Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Soul Knowledge... what's up with that?

This is a topic I have a hard time discussing, because most people think I am nutty if I do and I do not enjoy being poo-pooed. I hope that someday, someone who can relate will read this post and want to talk to me about it. I strongly believe in the soul and reincarnation. I believe, through my own experience, that the soul carries knowledge, desires and memories from one life to the next.

I wrote this poem at age 10. I entered it into a poetry contest in the 7th grade, but I had written it long before. The winner was never officially announced, so I went up to Mr. Weatherby after class and asked who had won. He said "You did". I never heard it read aloud and I never got a prize; all I ended up with was the strange puzzled look gave to me when he told me I had won.

Good night my love, for now I must rest
and fear not, that when I awake I will be sad and lonely
for I shall look down upon your heavenly face
betrayed by an earthly host
and pray that one day
when the stars sing the last note of their lost song
that we will be together again, singing our first.

I was afraid the look meant he thought I was plagiarizing but couldn't prove it; which hurt because he was my favorite teacher. I was aware even then that the things I wrote had to come from somewhere other then my own adolescent mind. I had no concept of what this poem meant, I just thought it sounded right; now as an adult I can see this poem is one soul telling its mate not to be afraid because love never dies.

I would get this build up of emotion, then let it all out through my pen. I would use words I was sure I had never read and even if by some chance I had, I was sure I wouldn't know how to use them properly. Most of the time I would write then look the words up to see if it made sense.

I always believed that I must have been a poet in a past life. I believed that these must be words my soul was remembering from that life in times of emotional need. I only write when I am sad, and when I am through I always feel much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment